Place of Refuge

Place of Refuge

17 June 2010

Roll Over Benjamin

Yeah,
it's been awhile since I've written one of my lengthy
thoughtful entries,
mostly because I'm writing other stuff right now,
in other places,
that demands a terrific amount of
brain energy.

*

I seem to have taken blogging perhaps
a little too seriously.

In the meantime,
folks get tons of hits,
and make, like, lots of money
for producing blogs that feature stuff like this:




(Nancy Pelosi looks like E.T.)



(Helen Thomas looks like Yubaba from Spirited Away)


This all comes from a website rather artistically titled:


A couple weeks ago, I mused about how the day upon which
I entered my current life
was the anniversary of Walter Benjamin's death.


Walter Benjamin is the author of 
"The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction,"

a work that challenges us to contemplate how technology 
has altered the way we look at reproductions 
(because so many reproductions are available)
and, likewise, originals.

I've been thinking for awhile that we in the U.S.A. in particular
live in a world of reproductions gone amuck.

I really do want to write a longer entry on that.

But for now, I offer 
totallylookslike.com
as an example and a sample of how
we are intrigued by the likeness
and not by the original,
and furthermore,
we in the USA love likenesses
that belittle the original.


Reproduction gone amuck



We've moved far too far from our source

No comments: