Place of Refuge

Place of Refuge

25 October 2011

bundle of wires


( pbase )

I've been terribly busy lately, rushing around, trying to 
be with the people I care about but also trying to fulfill
the demands of my job.  Trying to live life, I guess.
I hadn't been home too much, and was beginning to feel
very frazzled.  I felt I'd begun to lose sight of the 
essential stuff that makes me me.

That happens when I'm busy.  I suspect it happens to all of us.

The other day I got home after a short trip away, tossed my 
packed stuff into their respective closets and hiding places, and went on 
with trying to sort out my life and house.  When I went to charge
my phone, I couldn't find the charger.  Looked everywhere
that it could be -- in the bookcase where I sometimes store it,
in my suitcase, in my purse, in my computer bag.  It was gone.

I knew I had taken it with me on my trip.
I remembered winding it around my hand, packing it and thinking how inconvenient
it would be if I lost it.  I decided I'd lost it, somewhere along the way.

I went to sleep, resigned to the fact that I had one more errand
to run the following errand-full day -- to the cellphone store, where I hoped
I would be able to get a charger. 

The next morning, when I woke up, wired 
to get moving, I took a shower, then
went to take out the hair dryer that I had,
only the day before,
put back into its respective cupboard, and there
tangled amid the hairdryer wires,
was my cell-phone charger.

A minor incident, but it caused me to pause
and write a poem,
a simple poem,
but a poem nonetheless.
and as soon as the words bled onto the page,
I knew the day would be alright.

Here it is:



Look for the wires within the wires,
they nestle there
unawares
that they are hiding from you.  Look
for the bears
among the bears;
                  they, too, have no clue
that you
find them threatening 
                  or stealthy.

Look for yourself
               inside yourself--
             not in a book
          or in a car
            or in a bank
                   account
                                or a glamour magazine--

you are hiding there,
your good and your bad,
in the den of your soul,
your lost part
             tangled
'round other parts like it,
stored inside, hastily
.

Unravel it all.
Look closely:
every night before you sleep
take stock
of what you put away that day --

no sense in losing every
vital clue
of you
.



1 comment:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Wonderful poem! Love it!